Corbin and Melton crowned Homecoming King and Queen

Senior+Shana+Melton+of+Killen%2C+Ala.%2C+%28left%29+and+senior+Josh+Corbin+of+Gurley%2C+Ala.+%28right%29+after+being+announced+as+Homecoming+King+and+Queen.+

Leon Ono | Volunteer Photographer

Senior Shana Melton of Killen, Ala., (left) and senior Josh Corbin of Gurley, Ala. (right) after being announced as Homecoming King and Queen.

Audrey Johnson, Editor-In-Chief

Josh Corbin and Shana Melton were crowned UNA’s 2022 Homecoming King and Queen on Sept. 24 at the UNA-Tarleton State pregame presentation. This year, 1,463 students voted in the election.

Corbin, a senior from Gurley, Ala., double majoring in accounting and finance was nominated by Alpha Gamma Delta. Melton, a senior from Killen, Ala., majoring in elementary education, was nominated by Phi Mu.

2021 Homecoming Queen Shanise Allen crowned Melton. 2021 Homecoming King Bryce Austin escorted Allen.

Corbin and Melton were among ten total nominees for King and Queen. Aside from Melton, the 2022 Homecoming Court also included Jayden Bobo (Alpha Gamma Delta), Amari Bothwell (Presidential Mentors Academy), Molly Kathryn Cooper (Lambda Sigma Phi) and Keelyn Sealy (Zeta Tau Alpha) for Queen nominees.

Aside from Corbin, Omar Figueroa (Diversity Student Ambassadors), Dean Moore (Zeta Tau Alpha), Tevin Pauley (the National Pan-Hellenic Council) and Connor Potts (Phi Mu) made up the King nominees.

“Whenever they called my name out everything just went silent. I heard nothing.” Melton said. “It felt like something out of a dream.”

Corbin experienced similar shock.

“I was surprised [when they called my name],” Corbin said. “[The King nominees] were all a bunch of studs up there.”

After the awe of the moment settled in, Melton and Corbin posed for pictures.

“It finally felt real whenever I was standing there with Josh [Corbin],” Melton said. “He was one of my first friends at UNA.”

Corbin and Melton met in Freshman Forum–a branch of the Student Government Association (SGA) composed of first year students. Since then, Corbin has served on SGA, the LaGrange Society, SOAR and the University Program Council. He is a brother of Lambda Sigma Phi, a member of Financial Intelligence Network and Beta Alpha Psi Honor Society. Last year, he earned the undergraduate service award.

Melton has also served on SGA, the LaGrange Society and SOAR. She is a member of Phi Mu and also won the undergraduate service award.

In the lead up to UNA’s homecoming game against Tarleton State, where the Lions were defeated 43-28, campus celebrated homecoming through its traditions. This year’s theme, “Our TraD1tion Roars On,” highlighted UNA’s recent move to full Division I Athletic Status.

Student events included painting the Guillot University Center windows, the “Trunk Warz” pantry and food drive, the pep rally and relay, the parade float competition and the homecoming tailgate.

In terms of homecoming traditions, Corbin notes the GUC window painting competition as his favorite.

“It’s a really great way to show what organizations are on campus,” Corbin said. “And what they represent.”

While Melton loves the traditions that bring campus together, her favorite event includes the whole UNA community. 

“I love the UNA parade,” Melton said. “The parade brings the whole community together, and I love seeing the little kids so excited to see everyone.”

Corbin and Melton intend to graduate in May and pursue careers in their respective fields. Melton is especially grateful to the College of Education and Dean Katie Kinney for putting students first and always fighting for educators.

“I couldn’t have asked for better professors, advisers, faculty or staff,” Melton said of the College of Education. “They truly care for us, and I know I can go to them for absolutely anything.”

Corbin shares a similar sentiment for his mentors in the College of Business and Technology.

“There’s been a lot of faculty in the College of Business that have been really intentional.” Corbin said. “[At UNA], you get to make one on one connections with your faculty and staff.”