UNA should no longer be ‘best kept secret’ in Alabama

It is time for UNA to stop being the “Best Kept Secret in Alabama”

As UNA Athletic Director Mark Linder stated while addressing the 2018-2019 LaGrange Society, hearing that The University of North Alabama is the “best kept secret” in Alabama or the Southeast is somewhat of a backhanded compliment.

I could not agree more.

As the university advances in their debut year of Division I Athletics, we should take notice that UNA also fields Division I level academics and opportunities for students.

As UNA continues to play Division I sports in the ASUN conference (and Big South for football), the university brand will naturally be expanded into new media markets.

Perhaps the nation will take notice to stellar programs offered here at North Alabama, such as our award winning Steele Center for Professional Selling.

Perhaps they will be intrigued by our unique program offerings such as the Engineering Technology or Industrial Hygiene Programs.

Or perhaps, UNA’s claim to fame will be the expansion of campus and the opportunities on campus, such as the new Laura M. Harrison Nursing Building or new programs like the Bachelors of Science in Information Technology, Masters in Accountancy, Online Masters of Science in Mathematics or the AMP program, a program that allows North Alabama undergraduate students to take graduate hours at an undergraduate rate.

We have so much to be excited about at this time as a part of the UNA family.

However, while all of these things may aid UNA in killing this notion that the university is a “secret,” I firmly believe that the most important tool is the student body.

As the University of North Alabama, we have all of the resources necessary to put UNA into the national spotlight. What we need now is student buy-in. We should always be ready to get involved on campus, make the most of our college career and be willing to tell our story.

As I have said many times, I do not want to see students in crimson and white or orange and blue on campus, I want to see you in purple and gold.

Remember that student buy-in directly affects the value of a UNA education and degree, so be ready to spread the word about how great this gem of an institution is in Northwest Alabama.