Center for Women’s Studies celebrates HerStory

Kelley Peters, News Editor

The University of North Alabama’s Center for Women’s Studies will commemorate Women’s History Month by creating a display for HerStory.

The HerStory project is a submission-based display in Collier Library where people can honor women who they feel have made significant contributions to society. 

“The HerStory project is to honor the women who have shaped humanity and history by recognizing the achievements and contributions of extraordinary women who have made a significant difference in the world,” said Alyson Bergner, associate director of the Center for Women’s Studies. “Specifically, we wanted to focus on UNA’s campus community and make sure that we were honoring all of the inspiring women who are icons in the UNA community and who have had an impact on faculty, staff and students.” 

HerStory was started in 2016, when Dr. Lynne Rieff and Emily Kelley, the then coordinator of the Center for Women’s Studies, sought to create an exhibit to highlight the importance of women in the community.

I’ve found the HerStory Project meaningful in its diversity – the exhibit recognizes and celebrates women from a variety of backgrounds – some heroes (past and present) are famous, while others are family members recognized for their contribution and personal sacrifice,” said Rieff. “Moreover, the HerStory exhibit provides us with a sense of the values and character traits that we admire and hold dear. I hope that our campus community will continue to share their stories of women that they admire or who have made a difference in their lives and that the exhibit will continue to grow!”

In previous years, those who submitted their female role models had their portraits taken with a photo of their icon. Though the Center for Women’s Studies aims to continue that tradition, this year’s display will have a different look. 

The goal of the display is to educate viewers about the importance of women, both historically and currently. 

“HerStory in general is really referring to looking at history through a feminist perspective and looking at the contributions that women have made throughout time in our society,” said Dr. Andrea Hunt, director of the Center for Women’s Studies. “Being able to shine that light on the important contributions of women is important for us all to be able to recognize and learn about.” 

In addition to the HerStory display, the Center for Women’s Studies will also be showcasing a Women in STEM exhibition in Collier Library during Women’s History Month.

For International Women’s Day on March 8, they will be holding a period product drive, as well as doing a sign-up for the upcoming Feminist Affinity Group that will start up in the fall. 

On March 15, the Center for Women’s Studies will be highlighting Equal Pay Day in the lobby of the University Commons. The same day, they will hold Women of Action, where they will honor the hard work and dedication of those who previously ran the Center for Women’s Studies. 

Even after Women’s History Month ends, Hunt and Bergner wish to continue calling attention to the achievements of women. They advise anyone interested to visit their offices on the first floor of Rice Hall or reach out for more information. 

“We’re here, and we want to have a presence on campus,” Bergner said. “We’re welcoming to all people, and we want the Center for Women’s Studies to continue to be an inclusive and safe space for everyone.”