Cherry Blossom Festival showcases Japanese culture

Samantha Vise, Staff Writer

The University of North Alabama held its annual Cherry Blossom Festival on Thursday, March 23. The event kicked off in the Guillot University Center (GUC) at four p.m., and continued at Powers Hall, which houses the Office of International Affairs. The festival was hosted by the Global Lions Organization (GLO). 

The event began in the GUC Performance Center with a presentation given by Japanese students. The presentation was entitled “What is Japan” and explained more about Japanese culture and the importance of the Cherry Blossom Festival in Japan. The festival occurs in Japan every year towards the beginning of April. It celebrates the beginning of spring and symbolizes the fleeting nature of life, as the trees are only in bloom for about two weeks. 

The goal of having a festival at UNA is to bring Japanese culture to the international students who cannot make it home, according to the Assistant Director of International Student Services and Success, Kayla Flippo. 

“[I love that] it brings everybody together,” said Flippo. “I think it’s great that the Japanese students can share their culture and all the things that they enjoy at home. This is a big celebration that they’re missing their community and parents to be a part of, so [I’m glad] they get to share it with our UNA community.”

Following the presentation was a short Kahoot where guests could put their knowledge of Japanese culture to the test. After that, the crowd made their way to Powers Hall for sushi, music and a picnic under the Cherry Blossom trees. All of the trees were donated by a university in Japan that partners with UNA’s foreign exchange program. 

Over 200 people attended this year’s Cherry Blossom Festival. Guests included students, parents and faculty members. The majority of the crowd were international students, but there were also many non-international students in attendance that were there to learn more about Japanese culture. 

“The Cherry Blossom Festival is special because it brings Japanese culture here and people can see what [the festival] is like in Japan,” said Gabe Parrish, the graduate assistant helping in the Office of International Affairs. “The event turned out great – there’s plenty of people and food for the people.” 

While not as many showed up for the presentation, the free sushi at Powers Hall was a big hit and attracted a large crowd. Guests could also munch on potstickers, Japanese candy and fruit cups. Members of GLO had set up picnic blankets under the trees where guests could sit with friends and enjoy their food. However, most students opted to walk around and mingle with friends. 

“This is probably one of our biggest events of the year, we’ve had a record turnout,” said Claire Stone, a member of GLO. “It’s great to see both international and non-international students come together to have an event.”  

There was also live music performed by Japanese student, Maya Ishi. She sang “First Love” by Japanese artist Hikaru Utada.

“I’m really glad that I can get this opportunity to sing,” said Ishi. “I’m having a lot of fun!” 

Ishi was not the only one having fun. GLO members, students and their family members were all buzzing about, enjoying each other’s company and the warm weather. 

“I’m so glad I decided to come out [to this event],” said another student at the festival. “I usually don’t leave my dorm, but I was really wanting some sushi today. But, I got to meet some great people and have fun, so it wasn’t just for the sushi.” 

Be sure to enjoy the gorgeous Cherry Blossom trees while they are still in bloom.