Spring Concert: in review

Brooke J. Freundschuh, Editor-in-Chief

On April 20, The University of North Alabama hosted their annual spring concert, with headliner, American “meme rapper”, Yung Gravy.

The concert was opened by the Florence musician collective Bold Bloom, who blend hip hop, pop, rock and jazz styles in their diverse catalogue. While many of Bold Bloom’s songs have a hip hop or R&B feel, the second opener, Sarah Cothran, seemed a bit out of place to some attendees. 

Cothran is a singer/songwriter who gained popularity when she famously covered “As the World Caves In,” on TikTok. Her performance went viral. She graced UNA with this cover as well as a minor-key rendition of Taylor Swift’s classic “Love Story” and some of her original work. 

Yung Gravy took the stage at 9 pm, preceded by his DJ, who pepped up the crowd by throwing zebra cakes into the audience. Gravy himself would toss signed lunchables, babydolls, cereal and roses into the crowd throughout his set, which lasted for about an hour.

Gravy performed an array of his popular songs, ranging from his 2016 SoundCloud breakout, “Mr.Clean,” to his Top-40-charting hit, “Betty (Get Money)” which interpolates 1980s classic “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley. 

The rapper finished his set by changing on stage into a UNA basketball jersey, which he wore to play his most popular tracks. This was a special moment for students who appreciated his attention to where he was playing. He even joked that he wanted to bring Leo III on stage. 

Perhaps the greatest blunder was the lack of sufficient water for guests, but overall, the Spring Concert was a success for UNA’s Program Council.