Why is wearing sunglasses inside so bad?

Wh

As a blue-eyed individual, I think I can speak for the majority when I say everything is so bright all of the time, especially during the summer. I know that a lot of us know the science behind it, but if you don’t: since the iris is a lighter color, they are translucent and allow more light to enter which leads to light sensitivity. Due to this, and I don’t want wrinkles, I always have a pair of sunglasses on my person. 

On campus, I typically have a pair either on my face or in my backpack. But when I wear them, I feel like I’m being judged. What is the deal with that? The stigma attached to sunglasses in general confuses me. Like why do I feel “Cooler Than Me” by Mike Posner because my eyes hurt in the sun? They for sure aren’t designer shades but they still do what they need to do. 

Often on campus, many of the buildings have windows and fluorescent lights that are so very bright. The only thing keeping me from putting those bad boys on is that one Larry David quote, “You know who wears sunglasses inside? Blind people and assholes.” To be completely honest, that quote affects me more than it should. Why? Because it was always placed right next to that picture of Justin Bieber with his shades on in an interview. This is a ludicrous thought process, seeing as i am not famous nor justin bieber. 

This life is too short to not protect my eyeballs. 

In reality, no one truly cares what I do, it’s college. There are very few things I could do that would actively make people think about my existence. Strangely enough, you learn to find solace in that fact. Who knew there was a little lesson in my fear of wearing sunglasses in the GUC? 

That said the lesson isn’t some life-altering or mind blowing piece of advice. It’s just “do whatever the hell you want because who actually cares.” I’m so serious. My roommate allowed me to have this tiny revelation. She asked, “Is anyone going to remember that you wore your sunglasses inside in 30 years?” Obviously not, so now I’m doing all the little things that will probably get me weird looks like criss-crossing in chairs, wearing sunglasses indoors, and laughing just a little too loud. I mean if I am going to pay to be here, I might as well enjoy the little things you know?

Bring back the phrase YOLO. It’s a tale as old as time and has many variations- many of which are unsafe for public use. It also fully encapsulates my point. In conclusion, the sky is too bright, the GUC is too bright and wear your sunglasses inside. #YOLO