Drivers face issues parking on campus

Gavin Van Devender

For 15 consecutive terms as of the 2023 spring semester, The University of North Alabama has celebrated record-breaking enrollment. Despite this, one barrier curbs the excitement for a growing community of students: the shortage of parking spots on campus.

Because of the limited number of parking spots, commuters may have to allot an extra amount of time out of their day to locate vacant parking. Students who live in dorms, especially freshmen, can miss out on opportunities to explore Florence because they fear losing access to a parking spot before they arrive back on campus.

When it comes to finding a parking spot on campus, many students express frustrations with the parking shortage. Both commuters and dorm dwellers report struggles with traveling around campus by vehicle. 

“I hate it,” Bee Booher, a freshman commuter, said. “I walk half a mile to my first class every single morning in this awful heat wave.” 

Other students who live on campus are also less than pleased with the parking situation.

“I feel like students shouldn’t have to worry about where they’re going to park when they’re already stressed about classes,” Alyssa Borden, a junior who resides on campus, said.

Not only students are displeased with the parking options currently provided by the university. Newly-hired professor Dr. Colleen McEdwards, who currently does not bring a car to work, has observed the full parking lots around campus. 

“As I’ve walked through campus, I’ve noticed how quickly the parking lots fill up and how full they are,” McEdwards said. “I’m really pretty glad I don’t have a car right now. I was thinking later in the semester I would bring my car up from Georgia and maybe I would use it here, but honestly, I think I’m probably better off without it.”

Some who drive to campus recognize the lack of immediate control the university has over the issues faced with parking, but they still express frustration over the inconveniences the situation causes. 

“The issue with the parking is that, while we did get a lot of new buildings and a lot of new infrastructure, a lot of our parking is extremely crowded,” Chloe Yarbrough, a sophomore commuter, said. “I understand there was a large influx of students that came in, but overall it just felt like it was severely under-planned.”

Aside from inconveniences to students, the lack of parking spots has become a concern for students’ safety. 

“Safety concerns are due to vehicles parking illegally along yellow curbs or parking against the flow of traffic, causing hazards for themselves and other motorists,” Hollon McCullar, a UNA Police Department employee who works with Transportation Services, said.

McCullar recognizes the struggles faced by those who park on campus and offers advice to those struggling to find parking. 

“The beginning of the semester is the hardest, so have a parking plan prior to classes, beginning with multiple options, and be prepared to park in your ‘last resort’ area,” McCullar said. “Prepare time to walk to class. Any residents living around the main campus should walk to their classes and utilize the transit system for transportation to East Campus, the McKinney Building, or Harrison Plaza.”