UNA offers on-campus job opportunities

Bre Goodwin

With classes, clubs and campus events, many students at the University of North Alabama are short on time to work and earn extra money while in school. Luckily, UNA offers a plethora of on-campus jobs that work around students’ schedules to provide them with valuable experiences before they graduate.

Working at an on-campus job can limit the time commitment of getting to work each day, and students do not necessarily have to drive to these on-campus locations, meaning these opportunities are especially beneficial to students who might not have consistent means of transportation. Students are also able to arrange their hours around their classes and other activities, so scheduling can be significantly easier.

For those interested in an on-campus job, various university departments and businesses have positions available. 

Center for Writing Excellence

Those who work for the Writing Center assist students, faculty, staff and alumni with writing projects. These projects can include essays or research papers, annotated bibliographies, theses and PowerPoint presentations, as well as many other types of writing projects. 

The starting pay for undergraduate writing consultants is $8.50 per hour, and a graduate writing assistant’s pay starts at $9.00 per hour, with raises provided every semester after the first semester. 

To apply for a job as a writing consultant, students can search the Simplicity job site from the UNA Career Center. Any student who has an overall “B” grade point average and has completed EN 111 and EN 112 with a grade of “B” or higher is eligible to apply. 

After applying, the Center for Writing Excellence will conduct interviews with the candidates and, if they are accepted, those candidates will then go through both online and in-person training before officially beginning their job. 

“Writing consultants learn valuable and employable skills while working in the writing center,” said Dr. Kathleen Richards, the director of the Center for Writing Excellence. “Not only do they need excellent writing and reading skills, but they have to be able to analyze, problem-solve and communicate well during each session.”

UNA Dining

UNA Dining currently has positions available for Food Service Workers, Baristas, Dishwashers and Catering Attendants. These positions are available at Chick-Fil-A, Moes, Starbucks, Mane Market, Catering and Create. Pay rates start at $9.50 per hour and are based on experience.

“Responsibilities vary by location, and we try to find the best match based on student schedules and experience,” said Susan Breer, UNA’s Director of Dining. “We understand that their education is their first priority and accommodate class schedules.”

International student workers cannot work more than 20 hours per week, and domestic students are able to work up to 29 hours per week. UNA Dining is willing to schedule students as few as 4 hours per week, with shifts ranging from two to seven and a half hours. Included in shifts five hours or longer is a 30 minute unpaid break, during which students can enjoy a complimentary employee meal. 

Student Recreation Center

The Student Recreation Center offers various student jobs that pay from $8.50 to $9.75 an hour, depending on the position. Student workers in these positions typically work around 8 hours per week, but they may work up to 20 hours per week depending on their availability. 

Some positions within the SRC are Fitness Center employees and Patron Assistants, who provide customer service to patrons of the Fitness Center and the SRC. They also have positions for Group Exercise Instructors and Personal Trainers, which pay $9.00 and $9.75 an hour, respectively. 

The Outdoor Adventure Center has a Patron Assistant position, which pays $8.50 per hour. A Patron Assistant helps students, faculty and staff looking to check out equipment or plan trips, and they also participate in special projects and other OAC events. 

The Intramural Sports Teams have two both a Sports Official, which pays $9.00 an hour, and a Sports Supervisor, which pays $9.75 an hour. A Sports Official supervises intramural activities and reports any accidents or issues to the intramural supervisor. A Sports Supervisor staffs team sports, weekend tournaments and special events. They are also required to be able to enforce playing rules and implement Intramural Sports policies to ensure fairness and safety. 

UNA Bookstore

The UNA Bookstore does not currently have any positions open but may have a part-time position open soon. A Part-Time Team Member starts at $12.00 per hour and typically works between 10 and 15 hours a week, depending on availability. The position is responsible for cashier duties, fulfilling online orders and assisting with textbooks. 

Temp workers are also hired for a period of two to three weeks at the beginning of the Fall and Summer terms. These workers are normally paid $10.00 per hour, but the pay is set up by the temp agency, meaning it is subject to change. Those in this position work as a cashier, in online fulfillment or in assisting with textbooks. 

The UNA Bookstore encourages those who are interested to follow their Instagram page @unabookstore for updates on when they will be hiring. 

Other opportunities

Almost every department and business on campus has job opportunities for students. To stay up-to-date on any and all availability, interested students should visit the Simplicity job site from the UNA Career Center.