Florence welcomes new Whataburger

Garrett Lindsey

After many years without a certain beloved burger joint, the wait is finally over. Florence’s very own Whataburger plans to open in October, at 1562 Florence Blvd. 

Known for their large five-inch bun and late night meals, Whataburger made its official debut back in 1950. Quickly becoming a staple fast food restaurant, Americans became obsessed with the community that came with quick eating. 

The majority of Whataburger’s widespread attraction stems from their ability to easily connect with members of the community. Whataburger continues to expand their company, opening new locations monthly. 

In January, they announced the opening of six new locations all across Alabama in 2023, which will bring the total number of locations in Alabama from 26 to 32. However, the Florence location has been planned for about two years. 

“From the very get-go, Florence was a location we definitely wanted to open,” said Shaundra Lancaster, marketing manager for all North Alabama Whataburger locations. “A lot of people involved in the company have roots in this area, so from a personal aspect, we wanted to be able to give back to the community.”

The addition of Whataburger to a college town will be a notable success. Specifically, Whataburger’s message pertains to community involvement, and nothing screams community like a college town, where most businesses do everything in their power to provide for students. Lancaster voiced her support on behalf of the Whataburger incorporation. 

“We’re more than just fast food,” Lancaster said. “We are that hometown burger joint, where we value a safe, community orientated place, where anyone can come and share a meal with others.” 

Lancaster remembers being at her college of Oklahoma State, deep in late night study sessions and needing a burger break. The only place she and her friends trusted so late was Whataburger. Luckily, Whataburger is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, so no matter what time of day, she could count on them to provide fuel for studying. She is thrilled to see the teenagers and early adults in the Florence area carry on the tradition.

In celebrating their first ever National Whataburger Day on Aug. 8, Whataburger employees, officials and burger connoisseurs showed up to celebrate. 

Whataburger representatives have met with Florence city officials, including the Fire Department, Police Department and Engineering Department, to discuss their plans of operation. For this specific location, employees and city officials plan on it being extremely busy due to its location in the “heart of Florence” on Florence Blvd. 

On opening day in October, Mayor Andy Betterton plans to show his support. 

“If they decide to have a ribbon cutting, I’ll definitely be there to say a congratulatory word,” said Betterton.

Because the new Whataburger location will provide a plethora of job opportunities, Lancaster encourages all who are interested to apply. Whataburger invites those who are at least 16 years of age, have a passion for serving others and can perform with a smile to fill out an application. 

The town of Florence is ecstatic to welcome Whataburger to the area, and if you ask residents and college students alike, it cannot open soon enough.

View Comments (6)