Pumpkin Patch Bash offers traditional Halloween fun

Whitney Veazey

The Pumpkin Patch Bash was an exciting event hosted by the University Program Council on Oct. 5 to help kick off the spooky holiday spirit for students.

The tradition of pumpkin carving can be traced back to the 19th century, originating in Ireland and Scotland from the tale of ‘Stingy Jack.’ In this myth, Jack repeatedly tricked the Devil and, at the time of his death, he was not allowed into either Heaven or Hell. Jack was provided with only a burning coal which he placed inside a turnip. The Irish then referred to him as “Jack of the Lantern,” evolving into the phrase ‘Jack O’Lantern.” 

Traditionally, in Ireland and Scotland, people would carve scary faces into turnips or potatoes to scare away Jack, while the British would instead carve into large beets. Since pumpkins are native to America, it was not until immigrants from these countries came to the United States that pumpkins began to be turned into the jack-o’-lanterns we are familiar with today.

The Pumpkin Patch Bash was an open opportunity for students to participate in the tradition of pumpkin decoration right here on campus. Pumpkins were provided, as well as materials, allowing students to either paint or carve their pumpkin to their heart’s content. 

Many students’ faces were brightened with joy as they got to pick their very own pumpkins to decorate to participate in this very festive tradition. Many people chose to paint their pumpkins, while plenty of others opted to carve theirs. 

Students’ creativity shone through as many different painting and carving designs were being crafted. Some students painted their pumpkins as cute animals, while many went for traditionally spooky designs with ghosts, scary faces and other Halloween-themed pictures. 

“I think it’s a really cool experience,” said student AJ Woodard, who painted his pumpkin like a raccoon. “I really like pumpkins!” 

Many students took the opportunity to reminisce, thinking back to their childhood, when they would have done activities like this year after year.

“I thought it was so much fun!” said Payton Getz, another student who painted her pumpkin. “I haven’t done something like this since elementary school, but it was kind of therapeutic in a way.” 

For those who missed the Pumpkin Patch Bash, there are other upcoming pumpkin decoration events in October. There will be a Pumpkin Bash to carve pumpkins hosted by Sanders College of Business and Technology Ambassadors, as well as Pumpkin Painting on the Patio hosted by Housing & Residence Life. Other upcoming Halloween events include Halloween Scary-oke, Spooky Movie Night, Halloween Trivia Night, Fright Night, and Halloween Hangout. Students can use Campus Groups to view details and register for upcoming events.