Step Sing banners drop

Whitney Veazey
Banners of Phi Mu, Zeta Tau Alpha, Lambda Sigma Phi, Baptist Campus Ministries, Alpha Gamma, Phi Gamma Delta and Pi Kappa Alpha.

The University Program Council hosted its annual Step-Sing banner drop for the 2024 season. UPC announced the Step-Sing theme on Instagram to be “Stages of Life.” The event will be from Feb. 1-3. 

The banner drop is part of the tradition for each participant to keep their themes secret from the viewers and competition. Each banner is rated on a scale of 1-10 in three categories, What creates the theme, use of the overarching theme, and artistic ability. 

Katie Stutts, a member of UPC, said, “[The contestants] drop banners to reveal each theme and it just adds the element of surprise to the show.” 

EJ Powell, one of UPC’s hype men, hosted this year’s event and announced the lineup for the 2024 Step-sing competition. 8 groups are competing in this year’s competition: Phi Mu, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Alpha Gamma Delta, Baptist Campus Ministries, Pi Kappa Alpha, Phi Gamma Delta and Lambda Sigma Phi.

Powell counted down for each drop and described each participant’s theme for the crowd. Phi Mu’s is “Middle School the Musical,” a play on high school musical. The banner depicts three silhouetted singers in front of lockers in a school.  Zeta Tau Alpha’s theme is “Senior Prom.” This shows silhouetted girls in prom dresses dancing. 

Lambda Sigma Phi’s theme is “Graduation.” Their banner showed four polaroids, each containing a different object surrounding a man in graduation robes. Alpha Delta Pi’s theme is “Scrapbook Flashback.” This banner shows ADPi’s hand sign and a scrapbook. 

Baptist Campus Ministries’ theme is “The Big Move to the Big Apple.” Their banner depicted a collage of New York City landmarks and images including the Statue of Liberty, an apple and a taxi. 

Jesse Thiot of the BCM said, “The theme is very inspirational, the beginning is very upbeat and by the end, you feel like victorious.” Thiot spoke on how the ice storm set back working on the project, but they are confident in what they have to show. 

Alpha Gamma Delta’s theme is “What a Gam Wants,” and shows a woman in sunglasses drawn in a traditional comic art style. The theme is about heartbreak, based on the art. 

Alpha Gamma Delta’s president, Caroline McNeal, said, “I’ve been involved with Setp-Sing for the last three years, and I have to say that this is our best one yet. It’s a very moving story that I’m excited to share with everyone who comes and watches.” 

Phi Gamma Delta’s banner depicts the fraternity’s name and a distraught man on a chair. The description of the theme is facing a challenge as a fraternity nation in this show and life. 

Powell said, “The men of Phi Gam are facing a crisis.”

Pi Kappa Alpha was the last to drop their banner. The banner said, “Dad Mode: The best stage of life.” Picturing four men in khaki shorts walking across a green lawn with hammers and other tools on the grass.  

The winner of the banner competition will be announced on Saturday, Feb. 3, along with the announcement of the Spring concert artist.