The Flor-Ala staff members chosen as finalist in writing competition

Four staff members from The Flor-Ala were finalists for the Society of Professional Journalists.

Judges of the competition were directed to choose entries they felt were among the best in student journalism, according to the organization’s website.

Life Editor Tyler Hargett was a finalist for the feature writing category with his Uncovered Secrets series.

“It’s amazing to see my series as a finalist because it’s like seeing a project worked on over the years, with it starting out as an idea and ending up as a praised piece of art,” Hargett said. “Now, moving forward in whatever direction I go, I can say that I have truly succeeded as a writer because someone liked what I wrote.”

Associate News Editor Harley Duncan was a finalist for general news reporting with his coverage of UNA’s new refund check policy.

Junior Jacob Cole was a finalist for sports writing with his story pertaining to former football coach Bobby Wallace’s legacy.

Senior Hillary Taylor was a finalist for the breaking news category with her coverage of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity house fire.

“To have not one but four finalists from The Flor-Ala is outstanding,” Hargett said. “This shows how, despite not ranking as the top newspaper in the South, we still have the potential to be one of the best, if not the best.”