Women’s Center and Social Inclusion highlight influential women

Lilly Clark

Learning about strong women’s fight against the patriarchy throughout time and walking away with a plant named after one kicked off Women’s History Month. 

The Center for Women’s Studies and the Mitchell-West Center for Social Inclusion partnered up to hold a “Patriarchy Sucks Succulents” informational table in the Gulliot University Center. As students came up to learn about these trailblazers, they were offered a chance to grab a real or fake succulent. 

“For Women’s History Month, we are celebrating women all around the world who have been influential in paving the way for future generations,” said Andrea Hunt, Executive Director of the Mitchell-West Center. 

The tabling event had an array of stickers depicting women in government and strong figures in media, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ellie Williams from the hit game “The Last of Us.” Stickers of plants and succulents were also up for grabs.

Down the line, there were informational cards with women throughout history. They pictured the woman’s name, picture and short biography describing what they have done in the fight against patriarchy. Some included Marsha P. Johnson, Rihanna, Beyonce and Laverne Cox. Those working the table asked that students name their succulents after one of these influential women. 

“[The programs] have been doing it for a couple of years now and it seems to be a big hit with students,” said Hunt. “Students get to walk away with something.”

Real and fake succulents spread across the end of the table. The real ones came in miniature planters with soil inside so students could replant them in a decorative pot or leave them as is. The fake succulents came in a variety of colors and were featured in front of a sign that read “For those who want don’t want [sic] to commit fully, but still want cute décor!”

Hunt said to keep an eye out for upcoming Women’s History Month events. A few listed were the International Women’s Day celebration on Mar 8 and Women’s Empowerment on Mar 20.