SGA senator resigns in light of offensive comments

Caleb Crumpton [COURTESY OF UNA SGA]

A UNA Student Government Association member resigned after posting potentially offensive statements to Instagram.

Caleb Crumpton, former elected Sanderson College of Business and Technology representative, responded to an Academy of Country Music Award post on June 27.

The post featured an LGBTQ+ “takeover,” in which Sam Williams, an openly gay country music star, posted on the group’s Instagram story for the day in honor of Pride Month.

A user by the name of “kalidescope_ad” commented to the ACM, saying that their “target audience is still harboring hate against LGBTQIA+ people, and that means the LGBTQIA+ fans aren’t safe in this community.” The user asked the ACM to “stop platforming homophobic artists.”

Crumpton responded to the user and said, “No one is scared of a bunch of [derogatory term for LGBTQIA+].” He furthered his statement by saying “homophobic” people are those who refuse to “kneel to the gay agenda” and want to “preserve normal things in America.” He then added, “Put 100 gays on an island and see how many generations they last!”

Crumpton’s comments were discovered when they were sent in anonymously. The sender provided a screenshot of the aforementioned interaction. Upon further investigation, other social media accounts were discovered.

Posts on X – formerly Twitter – by an account user “caleb_crumpton” also contain potentially offensive content.

Reposts and replies made by the account feature slurs towards those with disabilities and the LGBTQ+ community, along with imagery that could be offensive to some. The account is not confirmed to be Crumpton’s.

Crumpton responded to these allegations, saying that he stands behind his beliefs, though he “understand[s] that the public expression of these beliefs is not always helpful or needed.”

“The senator was extremely apologetic and ultimately felt it was in their best interest, as well as the best interest of the students, to resign, making the decision to do so,” said Kerigan Mardis, President of SGA, in a statement.

Mardis apologized on behalf of SGA and pledged to “do our best to ensure that all members understand the impact of their actions and words, not only as elected officials but also as human beings.”

View Comments (2)