Flor-Ala staff brings home conference awards

Staff Report

Members of The Flor-Ala’s editorial and photography staffs attended the 2018 Southeast Journalism Conference in Searcy, Arkansas and returned to Florence with awards.

The conference, which ran Feb. 15 – 17 at Harding University, had 412 entries from 30 schools including in-state universities such as University of Alabama, Auburn University and Samford University.

The Flor-Ala came away with three awards, including eighth place in the best college newspaper category of the Best of the South awards, out of 22 entries.

“While this is a couple of places down from last year, I believe that coming in the top 10 is amazing,” said Editor-in-Chief Monday Sanderson. “We have a great photography and writing staff, and with new people coming in, I see many new and inventive ideas entering the publication. I hope that we can continue improving and eventually make it back to one of the top five positions.”

Individual Best of the South winners from The Flor-Ala were Sanderson with a second-place award in the editorial op-ed writing competition out of 31 entries and Graphic Designer David J. San Miguel in the news graphic designer category with a second-place award out of seven entries.

Sanderson submitted editorials about the university’s conflict with the Florence Board of Education, students self-educating themselves on black history and the importance of food pantries during the holiday season.

“I’m glad that I won, but I want us to push to get more awards as a collective,” San Miguel said.

San Miguel’s work included a piece on white-washing and the game of the week logo.

Life Editor Tyler Hargett and Diorama Sports Editor Sierra Hill represented the Student Media at the conference.