Outdoor Adventure Center offers activities for spring

Junior Savannah Jones walks on a slackline during OAC’s “Camping on Campus” Sept. 7, 2016. Slacklining is one of the activities the OAC will be offering during the spring semester.

UNA students can embrace an adventurous spirit at the Outdoor Adventure Center on campus.

Located across the street from Norton Auditorium, the OAC is home to not only avid outdoorsmen, but also beginners.

With the return of warm weather in the near future, the OAC has several weekly on-campus opportunities for students, including yoga and slack-lining.

The OAC will offer educational clinics this semester, including a focus on the “Leave No Trace” approach to outdoor adventures and rope tying lessons.

For details on each event, the OAC events schedule is on the organization’s website, Facebook and Instagram.

“Every semester, our schedule changes a bit, but we post our schedule online,” said OAC coordinator Patrick Shremshock. “All events are free to students. They just need to come in (the OAC) and sign up.”

Shremshock said the OAC has nearly everything students could need to camp.

“Students just need to bring their Mane Cards and driver’s licenses the first time they come (to check out equipment) and just their Mane Cards after that,” Shremshock said. “We have all kinds of camping gear, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, sleeping pads and camp cookery.”

Shremshock said the most popular items students check out from the OAC are Eno hammocks and kayaks, especially during the spring. Hammocks can be rented out for four consecutive days. Students can keep kayak rentals for 24 hours, and it comes with a paddle and life jacket.

David Atkins, graduate assistant at the OAC, said the OAC offers students a chance to relax.

“We provide a great outlet to relieve some of the stress that can happen while in college,” Atkins said.

Shremshock said the activities at the OAC are beginner level, therefore anyone can participate. He said the point of the events is to introduce new hobbies to students and help them make friends in the process.

“Some of the activities may be something (students) have wanted to try to do before but didn’t have the means or the knowledge of how to do it,” Atkins said.

The OAC is also home to the Outdoor Club, a “catch-all sports club,” according to the OAC’s website.

The Outdoor Club currently has more than 50 members, according to the website. The club is for those interested in competing in collegiate tournaments, including ultimate Frisbee, archery and rock climbing/bouldering.

The OAC also has an incentive program. Students can receive points for performing tasks, such as checking out equipment, attending meetings or joining the Outdoor Club. After a student earns a certain amount of points, they are eligible for prizes, such as stickers, frisbees and chairs.

“I tell students that they should at least come check us out and take a look at our scheduled events,” Atkins said.