Winter weather causes school cancellation

Even though this is the third week of school, many classes are behind after the university was out for a week of school due to inclement weather.

Students received Lion Alerts of school closings Jan. 12- 17. Classes were out Jan. 15 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, but the university closed for the two days after to ensure student safety in the winter weather.

“We were in agreement each day about the best course of action and sought to share that information with the campus community in a timely manner,” said UNA President Kenneth Kitts in an e-mail.

He said each day he held conference calls university officials to decide on school closings.

He said the members reviewed law enforcement reports on road conditions, the weather forecast and related decisions coming out of area school districts before making decisions.

Despite all Lauderdale County and Florence City schools remaining closed Jan. 18, UNA opened its doors.

Students received a message warning about road conditions and excercising caution.

Kitts said it was a difficult decision to re-open school Jan. 18, but he said the members wanted to allow flexibility in the schedule throughout the rest of the semester incase the university needed to close again for weather.

He said the group wanted to try their best to avoid having makeup days during spring break.

Kitts said students, faculty and staff should exercise caution on days of bad weather.

“We want this message to be taken to heart and to resonate on days like today when road conditions are uneven across our area,” Kitts said