Classes should start later to ensure success

Just because young adults tend to sleep late does not mean they are lazy. Science proves that 18 to 24-year-olds require more sleep because they have different circadian rhythms, according to Everyday Health’s website.

A circadian rhythm is an eternal process often referred to as a body clock that tells people when to sleep, rise and eat.

Young adults need seven to nine hours of sleep every night, according to the website. In addition, young people tend to stay up later because that is their natural response, according to The Sleep Doctor. Therefore, I propose classes start later to ensure students’ success.

To be considered a full-time student at UNA, one must take at least 12 credit hours. Even if students only take the minimum requirement, they are still facing hours of study time that push bedtimes back later and later.

Classes start as early as 7 a.m. at UNA. These early start-times can cause negative effects. In short term, a lack of adequate sleep can affect judgment, mood and ability to learn and retain information, according to Harvard’s medical website.

Furthermore, sleep deprivation is a common occurrence among young adults. This condition occurs when people do not have at least seven hours of sleep. With the pressure of school, work and social lives, a good night’s rest is harder to achieve.

Collier Library stays open until 1 a.m. during weekdays, therefore UNA faculty members expect us to stay up late to study. Yet we still have classes starting at 7 a.m. Students need more time to sleep in between study-time and class-time.

Naturally, when students apply for classes, those scheduled at later times are usually full because few students prefer earlier classes.

By the time freshmen apply for classes they must choose what classes remain, which, more often than not, are the earliest classes available.

In the past, UNA officials have proven to be in the business of helping students succeed. Perhaps they should consider these proven facts, according to The Sleep Doctor.

Benefits to starting class later:
• Sleep amounts rise.
• Young adults get better grades.
• Fewer students seek help from

counselors and nurses.
• Sick days and tardiness decrease. • Car accidents decrease. Students should not feel guilty for

taking naps or sleeping late. After all, it is our natural response. I implore campus officials to consider pushing first classes back to 9 a.m.

Even now, as we suffer sleep deprivation, the student body is successful in the classroom. Consider how much more successful we could be after a good night’s sleep.