Campus receives Lion Alert due to robbery

The UNA Police Department sent out a Lion Alert around 8 p.m. Sept. 7 after the Florence Police Department reported an armed robbery near campus.

The robbery took place around 8 p.m. near Irvine Avenue, the road running in front of the Commons, and North Cypress Street, said Gregory Cobb with the Florence Police Department Criminal Investigation Division.

A male UNA student reported two African-American men dressed in black with their faces covered attempted to rob him at gun point while he was sitting outside of his off-campus apartment, said UNA Chief of Police Kevin Gillilan.

The men did not take anything from the student because he told them he had no valuables. Moments later, the student flagged down a police vehicle patrolling the area and reported the incident.

The men ran when they saw a patrol car. One man ran east toward the downtown area, and the other ran South on Cedar Street.

Despite UNA and Florence Police Departments patrolling the area, neither department was able to find the suspects.

Gillilan said UNA issued a Lion Alert because of the location of the crime.

“Timely warnings are issued in a manner likely to reach the entire campus community so that each member is aware of a crime report in the area and can take necessary precautions to ensure one’s safety,” Gillilan said.

This incident is still under investigation.

Anyone with information should contact Detective Kevin Jackson at 256-760-6557 or text a tip to 274637 using key word FPDTIP.