UNA officials respond to “Jane Doe” lawsuit

UNA officials recently released an official statement concerning a lawsuit filed against the school from a former UNA student.

In the lawsuit, the plaintiff, Jane Doe, alleges that the university helped cover up the sexual assault by former professor David Dickerson in fall 2015, which is in violation of Title IX.

While the university normally does not comment on information in cases pending litigation, it “vehemently disputes the allegations in Jane Doe’s lawsuit,” according to the statement.

“UNA rigorously enforces its policies that prohibit sex discrimination and that ensure compliance with

Title IX,” according to the statement. “UNA takes great pride in its reputation as one of the safest college campuses in the Southeast. Student safety is and has always been a top priority, and campus officials are deeply offended by unfounded accusations that suggest otherwise.”

The plaintiff argues UNA failed to protect her before the sexual assault since they did not perform a background check on Dickerson before he was employed.

After the incident, the plaintiff discovered that Dickerson had been charged with rape and assault before his employment at UNA.

The university plans to “vigorously defend against those claims” and it “looks forward to its day in court,” according to the statement.

Stick with The Flor-Ala as the story updates.