New semester brings activities for students

Students participate in last year’s Camping on Campus event. This is one of the many events taking place during UNA’s Mane Month.

The fall semester at UNA has officially begun and with it comes Mane Month, an entire month of events and activities for both new and returning students.

Beginning Aug. 17 and going through Sept. 22, Mane Month has already gotten off to a busy start with several events on campus.

However, while students may have already volunteered at Lions Lend a Hand or dipped a pencil in Harrison Fountain on the day of the Lucky Dip, the fun has only just begun.

Here are four upcoming events to check out as Mane Month progresses.

1.    The Big Deal – Aug. 24

Want to get involved in a campus organization but do not know where to start? Look no further than the Big Deal, where over 1,000 students gather in the center of campus to stop by the various student organization booths. However, information is not the only thing available, as there is plenty of free food, prizes and items. Also, students with a Listerhill account are eligible to sign up for a chance to win a new car. The event begins at 6 p.m. at the Memorial Amphitheater.

2.    Back to School Bash – Aug. 26

Whether students are coming back to college or going back to class for the first time since high school, UNA’s governing Greek councils have put together a social gathering for everyone on campus. Activities include making memories at the photo booth, getting a personal caricature and dancing. Also, be sure to check out the inflatables, whether to feel like a kid again on the slides or compete with friends in obstacle courses, jousting, football and baseball. With pizza and ice cream added into the mix, the result is a party that brings excitement to the start of the semester. The event begins at 3 p.m. at the Memorial Amphitheater.

3.    Alternative Break Trip Launch and OAC’s Camping on Campus          – Sept. 6

While two different events are taking place at the same time, students are welcome to participate in both.

Beginning at 6 p.m. at the Memorial Amphitheater (or Baptist Campus Ministries auditorium in case of rain), attendants can enjoy the event’s games, free food and live music. The reveal of the three spring Alternative Breaks trips will happen at 7 p.m., which give students the opportunity to travel to communities around the U.S. and beyond to provide different services to those in need. Those interested in going will be able to get an early start signing up. After this, students who want to spend the night under the stars can stick around and participate in the Outdoor Adventure Center’s “Camping on Campus,” which will provide breakfast the following morning.

4.    National Hazing Prevention Week – Sept. 18-21

Hazing refers to an intentional situation or action that causes harassment, embarrassment or ridicule and risks emotional/physical harm to members of a team or group, whether or not they are willing to participate, according to HazingPrevention.org. During this observance, students can learn about hazing through different events. These include “These Paws Don’t Haze,” where students can sign a pledge against hazing and get a free button, on the 18th, a screening of the film “H.A.Z.E.” and discussion from IFC on the 20th and presentations by speakers Mari Ann Callais and Eddie Francis on the 19th and 21st respectively.