Nursing students find success

As the Anderson College of Nursing prepares to build a new facility, the program builds on a foundation of success.

The Anderson College of Nursing received the honor of the highest pass rate on the National Council Licensure Examination out of all public universities in Alabama.

The NCLEX is a standardized test the state board of nursing uses to determine a student’s preparedness for entry-level nursing.

The Anderson College of Nursing has a pass rate of over 97 percent. This is higher than the state pass rate of 90 percent and the national rate of 88 percent, according to the NCLEX pass rate report.

Vicki Pierce, Dean of the Anderson College of Nursing, said the department has a long history of performing well. She said this is directly related to a student remediation plan among the faculty.

“When students answer a question incorrectly on a test, they are encouraged and expected to re-mediate or re-study the course content,” Pierce said. “It is important for students to understand all concepts.”

Pierce said the strategy may sound simple, but it is vital for students since they are continually receiving new knowledge to build on old concepts.

Pierce said past and present success is essential moving forward. The program is expected to grow as the department prepares for a new facility.

“This state-of-the-art facility will enhance the learning environment for our students, and we believe that students who choose to enroll at UNA will not be disappointed,” Pierce said.

Laura M. Harrison Hall, the new home for the Anderson College of Nursing, is expected to open fall 2018.