Construction continues to add campus options

Even though most classes stop for the summer, projects at UNA continue to evolve to meet student needs.

Over the break, UNA Dining will add additional seating, new flooring, lighting and other aesthetic features to Mane Market, the residential dining hall.

It will also reorganize the setup of serving lines, said UNA Dining Marketing Manager Daishu McGriff.

Mane Market will also receive an “enhanced salad-eating experience” with the addition of a cook-to-order protein station for students to customize their salads.

Students can also expect Mane Market to receive frozen yogurt and a daily pasta bar.

McGriff said students can expect to see more renovations to UNA’s dining options in the future.

Mane Market is looking into adding a loft eating space for students, but this project would occur at a later time.

“Overall, our students should expect the dining experience to evolve with the

campus,” McGriff said. “UNA will grow each day, creating a better dining experience for tomorrow.”

UNA Dining will also spend the summer completing projects to add additional dining options, such as Panda Express in the Guillot University Center.

Construction for Panda Express began in March, and McGriff said they hope to complete this project at the end of May.

McGriff said UNA Dining will add a dining option to the new nursing building. UNA Dining will release details of this project when construction of the nursing building begins.

Michael Gautney, assistant vice president of Facilities Administration and Planning, said he expects the new nursing building to open fall 2018.

Gautney said construction will block Circular Road off for part of the project, but the road should remain open most of the time.

The nursing building will include 10 study rooms, eight simulation rooms to emulate a hospital setting and a basic skills lab with 16 hospital beds.

The building will also include two computer labs and four classrooms each holding 72 students, said College Development Gift Officer Barbie Terry.

Freshman Jose Alba said the building will bring new life to the program.

“It will be great to have the additional space,” Alba said. “I know nursing is very popular on campus.”

Hugo Dante Sr., who was the architect for The Commons, is also the architect for the nursing building. UNA made sure Dante designed the building to compliment the campus’s current architecture, Terry said.

Dante designed the building differently than Floyd Science Building, but it is in the original layout, Terry said.

Gautney said Collier Library will receive a new roof over the summer due to the old roof leaking. The roof should be finished in time for school to start in the fall.

Senior Ashleigh Shumake said correcting problems on campus will improve the atmosphere.

“It is a good thing to improve the appearance of a lot of places on campus,” Shumake said. “Most people judge things based off of the appearance.”