SGA and LifeSouth to host blood drive

Students and members of the community can give blood and save lives March 14 from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. in front of Clock Tower Plaza on campus.

LifeSouth, a non-profit community-based blood supplier, will work with the Student Government Association’s service committee to host a blood drive in the LifeSouth Bloodmobile.

Attendees should bring a driver’s license or student ID and eat a meal before donating, said Rebecca Bush, service chair of SGA.

The goal is 26 donors, said Maggie Czermak, donor recruiter for LifeSouth.

“This blood is given to those in our community,” Bush said. “Every time someone donates blood, we are able to use their donation to save three lives.”

Sophomore Baylee Smith said the blood drive is a beneficial event.

“It’s important to give back to your community, and donating blood is an easy way to start,” Smith said.

LifeSouth will set up a table in the GUC atrium March 14 from 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m. for students to and ask questions, Czermak said.

“(Students) can sign up for a specific donation time here as well,” she said. “However, walk-ins are also available on the day of the drive. We try to make donating fun and comfortable for everyone, but we also want to educate everyone about who we help and how beneficial it can be.”

Senior Drake Jackson said he is glad SGA is hosting a blood drive.

“I know a lot of people that are scared of needles, but all it takes is one donation to see that it can be very simple,” he said.

Students can contact [email protected] with questions or concerns.