University president releases statement on travel ban

UNA President Kenneth Kitts released a statement Jan. 31 regarding all students affected by President Donald Trump’s temporary travel ban.

Kitts released the statement following Trump’s executive order to ban travel from certain countries Jan. 27.

Travel is currently halted from Libya, Iraq, Iran, Sudan, Syria, Somalia and Yemen during the time of the ban, according to a whitehouse.gov press release.

The ban will last for 90 days to ease the burden on government agencies while they are reviewing the process of screening immigrants, according to the release.

“In order to protect Americans, the United States must ensure that those admitted to this country do not bear hostile attitudes toward it and its founding principles,” Trump said. “The United States cannot, and should not, admit those who do not support the constitution, or those who would place violent ideologies over American law.”

Kitts said international students should avoid traveling outside of the United States at this time to prevent problems with their studies at UNA or legal stay in the U.S.

Over 230 international students are currently enrolled at UNA. These students are from 34 different countries, including some countries on the travel ban, Kitts said.

“The University of North Alabama is committed to international education and exchange opportunities,” Kitts said. “Our international faculty, staff and students are important members of the UNA family, and we celebrate their many contributions to campus diversity and the educational experience we provide.”

For any questions or assistance, contact the Office of International Affairs.

Editor’s Note: Officials at the Office of International Affairs were out of the office Jan. 31 and unavailable for comment.