Victoria Roose crowned Miss UNA 2017

Senior Victoria Roose won the 2017 title of Miss UNA Jan. 21.

The Miss UNA pageant included an interview process, onstage question, swimsuit, talent and evening wear portions.

Junior Bella Martinez said Roose did well.

“My favorite part was definitely the evening wear,” Martinez said. “I think she is the most deserving of the Miss UNA title.”

Roose is from McCalla. She is studying to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Music Education. For the talent portion of the competition, Roose played the piano.

Master of Ceremonies Fletcher Brown said Roose stood out as a competitor.

“I think she deserved to win,” Brown said. “She had a lot of grace and poise. I’m actually very glad to see that Victoria won.”

In addition to winning Miss UNA, Roose also won the talent portion with her piano playing.

“I am incredibly honored to hold this position,” said Roose. “I have dreamed of representing our University as Miss UNA since my freshman year. My number one focus is to become more involved in serving UNA and the Shoals community.”

Sophomore Haley Gilbertson was the First runner-up.

Placing first alternate was definitely a highlight of my Sophomore year so far,” she said. “It was a lot of hard work, and I’m so excited that it payed off. I feel so blessed to be a part of this amazing program with some of UNA’s most dignified women. It makes me even more excited for next year.”

Freshman Keely Templeton won the service award and also Second runner-up.

“I’m so thrilled and honored to have been selected as Second runner-up for Miss UNA,” said Templeton. “I was nervous about competing as a freshman but it was an amazing experience. I’m so happy for Victoria and her new role on campus. I know she will be a great Miss UNA.

“As big of an honor as Second runner-up was, I think I was the most excited about being selected for the Community Service Award. My platform, Soles4Souls, is very dear to my heart and nothing makes me happier than being able to share my passion for this organization with others. I’m looking forward to bringing more awareness about Soles4Souls to UNA.”

Junior Harper Canaday finished the competition as Third runner-up.

Junior Candice Short took home the People’s Choice Award.

Competitors chose junior Brianne Hargrove for Miss Congeniality.

“Regarding the title of Miss Congeniality, I am truly humbled,” said Hargrove. “This award means more to me than any amount of scholarship money due to its meaning of displaying friendliness towards the other contestants. The fact that it was voted on by the 11 other contestants means so much to me.

“These lovely young women are truly a blessing in my life and I am so glad Miss UNA allowed us to cross paths. I was not expecting this award. I just try to live my life through example for others and hope I do it well.”

Miss UNA and the runners-up all received scholarships for the following school year along with other prizes.

“They really are Miss UNA, all of them,” Brown said. “Every girl in the competition deserves recognition.”

Director of Student Engagement Tyler Thompson said he is proud of the contestants that had the courage to perform.

“The pageant is a celebration of hard work and success in service, scholarship and healthy lifestyles,” he said. “I know that Victoria is going to do a fantastic job with her duty to serve and represent the university for the next year.”