Honor society holds fall induction

The Guillot University Center was packed Dec. 7 as 130 students became members of the National Society of Leadership and Success.

“This is a place for our members to join with other student leaders on campus in successful networking as they work to achieve their goals,” said Co-Adviser and Admissions Counselor Bishop Alexander.

This honor society is the largest in the nation with over 670,000 members, according to the national website. It is also the largest organization on campus with over 2,000 active students at UNA, Alexander said.

“It’s really an honor to be inducted into such a society,” said sophomore and inductee Grant Gunn. “It looks good on a resume, (and) it opens doors for other things.”

Florence Mayor Steve Holt, who was the keynote speaker at the event, gave his leadership advice to the inductees.

Holt’s advice included the message that what individuals accomplish is more important than when in life they accomplish it.

“Age is an issue of mind over matter,” he said. “If you don’t mind, it don’t matter.”

Santanu Borah, co-adviser and management professor, recognized three award winners at the ceremony.

The Honorary Membership Award went to Carmen Burkhalter, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, and the Faculty Appreciation Award went to Carolyn Barske, assistant professor of history. LeeAnna Brown, Early College coordinator, received the Excellence in Service to Students Award.

The academic requirement for the society is a minimum 3.0 – 3.25 GPA, Alexander said. To learn more about joining the honor society, students can visit the website at societyleadership.org.