Huey shatters record in dominant victory

Sophomore forward Kylie Huey tracks down a ball during a game against Belmont Abbey last season. Huey broke a school record by scoring six goals in one game against Spring Hill Sept. 28.

UNA soccer’s Kylie Huey led her team to a 10-1 victory over Spring Hill Sept. 28 and broke a school record in the process.

Huey scored six goals in the blowout, surpassing the previous record of five that former players Tassia Augusto and Chloe Richards set in 2008 and 2015, respectively.

“Obviously I couldn’t have done this without my teammates,” Huey said. “Coming into collegiate soccer, I wanted to set goals for myself. One of my goals I set for myself was to break records.”

Along with the sophomore’s six goals and one assist, senior forward Ele Costello and freshman forward Shelby Wall each added two goals to propel the Lions to its most lopsided score under UNA head coach Chris Walker.

Wall and Morgan Brown had two assists each. Margarida Sousa, Alyssa Bova, Kristen Sinden and Abby Cavitt all combined for the other assists.

Freshman goalkeeper Savannah Stewart earned her first career start for UNA, making three saves before surrendering the only goal of the game with 26 seconds left to play.

The Lions improved to 4-5 on the season and are 3-2 in the Gulf South Conference.

“We anticipated it would be a tough game, especially going to their place,” Walker said. “We scored two early goals in the first 10 minutes, and that shook their confidence a bit and gave us some confidence. After that, everything we hit was going in.”

Walker said he was pleased with the performance of the entire team, including the backups.

“Normally when you sub, you never know what’s going to happen,” Walker said. “Some people that haven’t played this season came in and did a great job. It was nice to see what they can do in a game and not just practice.”

Huey opened the scoring with a goal in the 4th minute before Costello scored a pair before the half. Huey then nailed four consecutive goals in the 42nd, 55th, 63rd and 68th minutes, pushing the lead to 7-0.

Huey said Walker thought about taking her out after the fifth goal to let her rest, but realized she could possibly break the record.

“After I got my fifth, Chris was like ‘Just get one more,’” Huey said. “I was so worn out and was ready come out. He kept saying ‘get one more,’ and I had no idea why. After I scored that last goal he told me I broke the record.”

Huey said the record never crossed her mind until she broke it.

“I’m glad he didn’t tell me before because I probably would’ve freaked out and never have gotten that sixth goal,” she said.

Walker used a 4-4-2 formation against Spring Hill instead of the usual 4-3-3 set. The move paid off, he said.

“We put Kylie and Ele in a position where they would see more of the ball, and they definitely did,” Walker said. “Shelby (Wall) came straight in to the front line and had a couple of assists and got herself a couple of goals. It’s a nice rotation we can work with now.”

In the new formation, the Lions had 33 total shots, 17 of which were shots on goal. Costello, Huey and Wall each combined for 23 shots and had 14 shots on target.

Costello said the forwards should continue to benefit from the 4-4-2.

“We spent about two hours in practice trying out the new formation,” Costello said. “We had a lot of possessions in it (against Spring Hill), and it also allowed us to get a lot of players on the field.”

The Lions hope to continue their momentum in a key conference match against West Florida (6-3, 4-0 GSC) Oct. 2 in Pensacola.