Consumers cause lack of originality in Hollywood

Monday Sanderson

“Hollywood lacks originality.”

“People only create remakes or sequels now.”

Many people have made these comments about movies, and this year it is more evident than ever.

Out of the top 10 highest grossing movies of 2016, six of them were either a sequel or a reboot. While people complain about the lack of creativity, their money says otherwise.

Consumers not only see this trend in movies, but also TV shows.

September is the month when new TV shows are born. When the major networks release their fall line-up, they are staking their claim and trying to gain more viewers.

This year, FOX decided to release two new shows that are movie reboots. The studio released their version of Lethal Weapon Sept. 21, and will release The Exorcist Sept. 23.

As both series are franchises that ended decades ago, film and TV studios should be done working with them, but they keep using the same material.

It is understandable to produce a reboot for a show or movie which only has one version available, but to do that for one which has multiple sequels makes no sense. Audience members have seen all they can from the series.

Most reboots or sequels add nothing to the overall story. They are just used as a cash grab.

“Once a brand has been established in the marketplace, it makes sound business sense to repeat the formula,” said Film Critic Roger Ebert in Newsweek.

This is why the film industry lacks originality. The companies just want to make money, and consumers are backing this idea.

“Kubo and the Two Strings” premiered Aug. 19, and critics have praised it as being “a masterpiece” and “unique.” This movie has a 97 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes, and it has made 30.5 million in the box office. However, this is still less than the 42.5 million “Ben-Hur,” a remake, made in the box office.

If consumers truly want more films or shows that are original, they need to start spending their money and time on the original products.

For UNA students, the support of original content can start locally.

Half-Minute Horror is a group from Sheffield that creates horror videos which are only half a minute long. Students from UNA have helped this group on their videos, and in turn the group has helped UNA students with projects.

They may not make any big budget products, but they make original content in a short time that forces them to be creative.

Another opportunity for students to support local films occurs in the spring at the George S. Lindsey Film Festival.

The festival allows students and other people from around the world to submit original films. It lasts three days, and it promotes independent filmmakers.

While it is okay to enjoy a sequel or a reboot, if people want more originality in the film industry, they must find it and support it.