Lions edge Nova in overtime thriller

Sophomore midfielder Margarida Sousa dribbles around a defender against Nova Southeastern Sept. 9 during the Lion Shootout tournament nightcap. Tied 1-1 in overtime, Sousa scored the winning goal in the 108th minute to give UNA its first win of the year.

Coming into the game with a 0-2 record, the UNA soccer team aimed to find its first win of the season in the Lion Shootout tournament in Florence Friday.

The Lions took the undefeated Nova Southeastern University Sharks to two overtime periods and found a 2-1 victory in the home opener.

UNA head coach Chris Walker said he wanted a challenging home opener when making the 2016 schedule.

“We knew this was going to be a tough game,” Walker said. “ This is exactly what we wanted to prepare for conference (games).”

Both teams were in a defensive struggle for the first half, as neither team scored a goal. UNA had three shots on goal in the first half, and NSU had two.

“We had some high intensity and some good plays,” said senior defender Susan Lang. “We had a bad weekend last weekend and wanted this (game) really bad.”

UNA sparked to life in the second period, as sophomore forward Kylie Huey scored the Lions’ first goal of the 2016 season. Huey found the net five minutes into the second period.

NSU tied the score with 11 minutes to go in regulation and sent the game to overtime at 1-1.

After a scoreless first overtime period, the Lions’ sophomore midfielder Margarida Sousa scored the game-winning goal to put UNA over NSU, 2-1.

“I think we deserved (the win),” Sousa said. “It was a team goal, not just my goal.”

Sophomore goalkeeper Kate Webster finished the game with six save in her first win of the season inside the net.

UNA (1-2) hosts Tampa in the final game of the tournament Sept. 11 at the Bill Jones Athletic Complex.