UNA PRide hosts dancing class

Students, staff and faculty danced the night away at “PRancing with the PRide” Sept. 7 at the Guillot University Center Performance Center. The Public Relations student organization, PRide, hosted the event which featured ballroom dancing.

This event was meant to teach people the basic steps, said Beth Garfrerick, assistant communications professor.

“Participants (danced) the East Coast Swing,” she said. “This style of dance goes over the basic steps of most of the dances one would do at a wedding or formal function.”

Junior Madi Winkler is the president of PRide. She said Garfrerick pitched the idea during spring 2016.

“We thought that this was a social skill college students needed to know,” Winkler said.

Admission was $8 per person and $15 per couple. Winkler said the money will send some of the students in PRide to a national convention in Indianapolis during the spring semester.

Winkler said the teachers, Suzy Robbins and Larry Crowell, are “legends” in the Shoals.

“They have the North Alabama Dance Club, and they are absolutely incredible,” she said. “I’ve taken one of their dance classes before, and I plan on taking more this semester.”

The dance classes are offered through UNA’s Continuing Education program, Garfrerick said.

The dancing was fun, said junior Spencer Hanskiewicz.

“I came here because I was interested in learning how to dance,” he said. “I’ve really liked what I’ve done so far.”

Garfrerick said the dance studio offers a discount for UNA students.

“Students can have four one hour sessions for only $19,” she said. “The classes will all be taught in the gym at Kilby (Laboratory School).”

Four sessions normally cost $44, according to North Alabama Dance Club Facebook page.

Winkler said she hopes to do this again the next semester.

“The event went well, and we had a decent turn out,” she said. “I hope more people will come out the next time we host this. This is a great opportunity to learn how to dance like an adult. Not all current dancing trends are appropriate in formal settings.”

Editor’s Note: Madi Winkler is the Social Media Coordinator for The Flor-Ala. Winkler did not contribute to this article.