OAC provides unique experiences for students

When students are looking for a way to take a break from their classes, they should look to the Outdoor Adventure Center. The OAC offers students a variety of options for outdoor leisure and relaxing.

The OAC is located on 216 West Irvine Avenue, across from the George S. Lindsey Theater, beside the parking lot.

The center provides activities for anyone seeking outdoor recreation, said Sophomore Taylor Hogan.

“The Outdoor Adventure Center is more than just a resource of information and equipment,” Hogan said. “It’s a program that provides regular opportunities to introduce fun, easy activities that can be enjoyed by all in the outdoors.”

Students can also check out outdoor equipment for a limited amount of time. Hammocks, kayaks, life jackets, tents, backpacks, disc golf, Frisbees, bikes, helmets, headlamps and other equipment are all available.

The center seeks to provide students with an outlet that will aid in transitioning to college life, said coordinator Patrick Shremshock.

“The mission of the OAC is to assist students in their transition from first year students to graduates,” Shremshock said. “The OAC does this by providing introductory adventures that get students out of their comfort zone.”

Slack Lining Mondays, Kayak Polo Thursdays, photo scavenger hunts, disc golf, a basketball chili cook-off, a full night hike and a Muscle Shoals Sailing Camp Out are just a few of the events the center coordinates.

Disc golf is becoming more popular as students learn about the game and how it works, said senior Hannah Harris.

“Disc golf is a sport I picked up and I really enjoy the different courses you can go to and experience the outdoors in a different way,” Harris said.

The center also gives students a chance to experience unique trips.

“OAC trips are designed to assist students in meeting new friends, increase self esteem and develop leadership skills that increase (outdoor activities),” Shremshock said.

More information for these trips is located on the OAC Facebook page. The center keeps their personal site updated with weekly events on the online calendar.

Students also are allowed to plan, organize and critique these trips for the center to best serve them, Shremshock said.

“There is never a dull moment when you’re with the OAC,” Hogan said. “They treat you like family, and you can tell that for sure.”