Southern Living magazine recognizes Florence and UNA

UNA students Savannah Herbst and Lynn Hartman use a campus map next to Keller Hall. Southern Living magazine gave UNA and Florence the nod as one of the South’s best college towns last week.

Southern Living recognized Florence as one of the South’s best college towns this week.

Featured alongside 20 other “true hidden gems of the South” like St. Augustine, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the article showcases Florence for its musical talent with Fame Recording Studio nearby, unique food and drink destinations and of course, the perks of attending UNA.

Students can expect low tuition rates, involvement opportunities on and around campus and the chance to earn their degree within small classes taught by knowledgeable professors, according to the article.

The selections rank in order “by their fan bases and their alumni, and schools exploring truly exciting academics and research that promise to reach the wider world,” according to the article.

Students also have many entertainment options from historic downtown to the Tennessee River right down the street from the university.

UNA is a good place to get involved, said junior Mallory Kirk.

“The school does a really good job of keeping everyone involved and giving everyone a variety of things to pick from,” she said.

The University of Alabama in Huntsville sits at number one, Auburn University at number two and the University of Alabama at number five.