Newspaper informs campus community, offers involvement opportunities

Jasmine Fleming

Attending college is a huge milestone that can help you determine the direction of your future. It is a time full of excitement, and even a little stress and nervousness as well.

For that reason, the staff of The Flor-Ala, the campus newspaper at UNA, has put together The Roar-Ala, a magazine for new students to help you become acclimated to the college environment.

The Roar-Ala is a publication from editors and contributors all over this campus with one goal in mind: to make this transition easier for you.

Whether you’re a freshman or a transfer student, we hope this magazine will add to what you learn at your Student Orientation and Advisement Registration session. You can even keep it to refer to throughout the semester.

Do you need to know how to find a tutor at the University Success Center?  Do you wonder who our athletic rivals are? Could you use some tips from upperclassmen on how to be successful? Do you know which restaurant students consider the best in Florence? We have information on those, and many more topics, to help you navigate the campus and surrounding community.

More than that, The Flor-Ala staff will work tirelessly through the 2016-17 year to continue bringing you the information you need. We will cover campus and local news and events in our news, life and sports section of our weekly newspaper, and any breaking news will be available as soon as possible on our website. We also cover varying topics in our special sections throughout the year, such as homecoming and spring break, and we run a culture blog showcasing our diverse student body.

First and foremost, The Flor-Ala is here to work for the students. We will always write content that contains news value, and our staff members constantly search for information to bring to you, whether it’s a new review or an investigative story. But, we also welcome suggestions from the campus community on what to cover. Throughout the year, if you feel we aren’t covering a topic we need to, please email me at [email protected].

We also have tons of available positions for student writers, photographers, designers and ad representatives, so if that interests you, you’re more than welcome to contact me or join us for Pizza and the Paper in the Student Publications Building (check your welcome week calendar for more details, or follow us on social media).

So, as you navigate through the start of your career here, know that The Flor-Ala is always here to keep you informed and offer you a place to be involved. Hopefully, this guide will help give you the information you need to make your years here not only successful, but enjoyable, too.