Campus celebrates first “Light the Fountain” event

Students, alumni, faculty and staff cheered as water spilled over each tier of the Laura Harrison Fountain March 21.

Light the Fountain is the beginning of a new tradition and the first celebration of the fountain being turned on each spring. The festivities included music from Rachel Wammack, free t-shirts and cupcakes from the Student Government Association.

“To UNA students, the fountain is much more than an icon for the university,” said SGA President Nick Lang during his speech at the event. “When the fountain is running the entire campus comes to life with energy. In the fall semester, you will see students dipping their pencils in the fountain for good luck on their studies in the upcoming semester.”

Donald and Laura Harrison gifted the fountain to the campus. Laura Harrison is a 1955 UNA alumna.

“(Donald and I) are so pleased that you students use this place as a focal point for many campus and community activities,” said Laura Harrison during her speech at the event. “Now, at the beginning of this spring season, we hope the lights of this fountain will be a beacon to you students, offering a guiding light to your educational goals.”

For many students, spring begins when the fountain is turned on.

Freshman Anfernee Mainer said he was passing by when he noticed the event and decided to check it out.

“I really miss the fountain in the wintertime, and I was glad to see it come back, so I wanted to come,” said sophomore Lauren Horne.