University confirms student’s death

The university received notification March 24 that UNA student Jeremiah Sanders died, said Vice President of Student Affairs David Shields.

Officials recovered the body of his brother, Jacob Sanders, March 15, said Colbert County Sheriff Frank Williamson.

The probable cause of the brothers’ deaths was drowning, officials said.

“We were all touched by reports of the search for Jeremiah and his brother, Jacob, that spanned two weeks after their tragic disappearance,” said Director of Student Counseling Services Lynne Martin in a university email.

Jeremiah Sanders’ funeral was March 24.

Jeremiah and Jacob Sanders had a great relationship, said Jeremiah Sanders’ wife Brittney Sanders on Facebook.

“I am truly amazed at how many people cared and loved the boys,” Brittney Sanders said. “They always looked forward to the time they got to spend together fishing on the river. They loved each other so much and had the best brotherly bond.”

Both men were wonderful people, Brittney Sanders said.

“Jeremiah was the loving and caring husband I could have ever hoped to have in my life,” Sanders said. “He was my life and the best blessing I’ve ever received. I know everyone will miss his stories, funny grin, laugh, calm demeanor and every other awesome thing about him. Jacob was my brother and one of the most sincere and genuine men I’ve ever known.”

Student Counseling Services is available to help grieving students, faculty and staff, according to the university email. Please contact them for help and support at 256-765-5212.

Stick with The Flor-Ala for updates on this story.