Fountain-lighting ceremony sure to brighten campus

With spring time just around the corner, UNA is getting ready for the sunny days to come. UNA will host the first “Light the Fountain” Ceremony March 21 at 7 p.m. to bring the campus back to life. At this event, Donald and Laura Harrison, who are the contributing benefactors to the fountain, will be present to light the fountain. There will also be free T-shirts to the first 100 people at the event, as well as light refreshments and music from Rachel Wammack.

This is a great tradition starting at UNA, and I am excited that the Student Government Association and the rest of the university will get to be a part of something so exciting. There have been many hours of hard work put into this event because the fountain is such a major focal point at the university. When the fountain is running, the entire campus comes to life with energy. The fountain has always been special to me ever since I arrived on campus as a freshman. Even today, I frequently see students gathering around the fountain to take pictures and socialize. This is why SGA and university administration collaborated to create this special event.

Along with the “Light the Fountain” ceremony, SGA will also host two events this month that are centered on spring break. First, the “It’s On Us: Spring Break Edition” event will be March 23 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Memorial Amphitheater. This event will have “It’s On Us” promotional items, SGA swag and two guest speakers talking about the importance of being an active bystander while on spring break. The second event, “Spring Break Bash,” will be the same day from 8 p.m. to midnight. This event will be a great kick off to your spring break. There will be music, food and free SGA swag.

As spring break approaches, I hope everyone stays safe and has fun. It is a much-needed break for all students.