College Democrats and Republicans plan education events

The College Republicans and College Democrats are encouraging students to vote in the upcoming primary election.

Both organizations have helped students register to vote by holding voter registrations.

“It’s good to be an informed voter,” said President of College Republicans Nathaniel White. “So, educating people on campus before they vote has been a main priority of ours.”

The organizations both have plans to inspire students to vote.

“(College Democrats) makes sure students on campus understand that they have a right to participate in our nation’s democracy,” said President of College Democrats Nicholas Edwards.

Last semester, the College Republicans organized a voter registration and registered about 100 students, White said.

“(College Republicans) are holding a Get Out and Vote rally the day before the (March 1) primary,” White said. “It’s not really going to be a partisan theme, it’s just going to be something that encourages the democratic process (by) getting people energized to actually go and vote.”

The College Democrats organized a voter registration Feb. 8. The organization gave away cookies, candy and free T-shirts, Edwards said.

“(College Democrats) have a contest going on right now,” Edwards said. “If you go and vote on March 1, take a selfie of yourself voting and post it on Instagram with our hashtag #unabutv, which stands for Beat Up the Vote, we’re giving away a free Beats Pill to one person.”

White said the College Republicans want to educate students about Republican ideals without pushing a particular candidate at them.

The College Republicans meet twice a week in Collier Library and in room 302 in Bibb Graves Hall, White said.

“(College Republicans) talk about how the Republican Party, in some instances, has strayed away from Republican values and the detrimental effects of that, so we’re not all about the party bashing,” White said. “We’d like to inform everybody on what these (Republican) values are, and we want them to make educated decisions for

themselves.”

Edwards said he encourages students to have a political opinion.

“I think it’s so interesting to be involved and in-the-know of what’s happening in the country because when it comes right down to it, the stuff that’s happening in the political arena affects us directly, whether we like it or not,” Edwards said.

The College Democrats meet every Monday at 5 p.m. in room 307 of the Commons Building, he said.

Edwards said he invites anyone to come to the meetings, regardless of their political beliefs.

Sophomore Austin Hogue said he plans to vote in the primary election.

“I think it is very important for students to vote because if you vote, you always have a say in the matter,” he said.

Junior Brittney Dunham said she thinks it is important for college students to vote in the general election.

“It’s especially important this election because many of the current issues will affect college students,” she said. “I’m planning on voting this year because I feel that if I don’t, then I have no right to complain about whoever becomes president.”