Pool to remain open this semester

The verdict is in: The swimming pool in Flowers Hall will remain open this spring.

Senior Cody McGowan, who works at the Student Recreation Center said, “It has been years since the pool has been open to students, and this past semester was kind of a trial to see if it will stay that way.”

The pool was open to students Wednesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. said Recreational Sports and Fitness Director Eubanks.

This semester, the pool is scheduled to be open on Mondays and Thursdays from 8:30 until 10:00 p.m. and Wednesdays from 6:30 until 9:30 p.m. This will take effect Jan. 20.

“For this semester, we had 180 different individuals utilize the pool and 611 total visits to the pool,” Eubanks said.

He said the student use was slightly less use than previous semesters, but just enough to keep it open.

“I’ve never used (the pool), but I know a lot of people that do (use it) regularly,” said junior Tyler Delano. “They play water polo and kayak polo a lot there.”

McGowan said they have had several students ask about the pool and when it was open.

“We have had so many students interested (in the pool) now that they have started a club swim team,” he said.

Two lifeguards patrol the pool to ensure students are using it safely.

“Only students are allowed, and (they) must show their mane card just as they do at the SRC,” McGowan said. “We keep a list of all the visitors, so we have had a lot, mainly athletes. They have really utilized the pool since it’s been open.”

He said athletes have begun to use it as part of their workouts.

“I took a swimming class at the pool last summer,” said sophomore Jessie Cooley. “It was fun. I liked it enough, but it was exhausting.”

The pool will be open more than two days a week this semester, according to the daily schedule on the Recreational Sports and Fitness page.

Junior Stacey Webber said she went to the pool while it was open in the fall and will more than likely use it again this semester.

“(The pool) was good,” Webber said. “I played water polo there and (swam) there a couple times.”

Junior Shaq Shoulders said he wants UNA students to know it is open.

“I think most students just don’t know it’s open,” Shoulders said, “(The pool) has many great uses. (For example), sports can use it as a recovery treatment, other people can exercise or they can use it as a place to have fun.”