Hood addresses UNA graduates

A soon-to-be graduate listens as Patterson Hood, commencement speaker and frontman for Drive-By Truckers, delivers the commencement address today at 10 a.m. “Take some chances, have an adventure and don’t be afraid to make mistakes because they’re going to happen anyway whether you fear them or not,” Hood said.

The relieved sighs of graduates and the laughter of their friends and family echoed throughout Flowers Hall during the fall 2015 commencement ceremony Dec. 12.

The bustle and chatter quieted as Patterson Hood, frontman and guitarist for the Drive-By Truckers, stood to give the commencement address.

“Take some chances, have an adventure and don’t be afraid to make mistakes because they’re going to happen anyway whether you fear them or not,” he said.

Hood, who grew up in Florence and is a former UNA student, praised the town and campus. He commended UNA’s music program and discussed the huge role music played in his life. From sleeping in a storage room, to playing hundreds of shows and becoming a renowned artist, Hood said he strives to live life to the fullest and encouraged students to do the same.

Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost John Thornell also offered an empowering message to the graduates.

Thornell said they should try “to find a way to make a positive impact to change the world one step at a time.”

One by one graduates walked on stage as students and off stage as UNA alumni. After each graduate sat once again, university President Kenneth Kitts asked the newest alumni how it felt to be college graduates. They answered his question with a celebratory cheer.

The College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Nursing held their commencement at 10 a.m. and the College of Business and the College of Education and Human Sciences held their commencement at 2 p.m.