Searcy surprises students and staff with ‘Seasons’

Jordy Searcy’s recently released “Seasons” peaked at No. 7 on the iTunes singer and songwriters chart and No. 5 on the Apple Music charts. Searcy gifted UNA’s students and faculty with free downloads. 

UNA students and faculty got an early holiday surprise from former student and “The Voice” contestant Jordy Searcy. In an email, Searcy wished everyone a “merry Christmas” and provided a link to a free download of his latest EP, “Seasons.”

“I really wanted to give UNA a chance to own my music,” he said. “Florence was such a great place to be for me going to school and making music. It only made sense for me to want to give back.”

The EP, released Nov. 28, peaked at No. 7 on the iTunes singer and songwriter chart and No. 5 on the Apple Music charts. It features songs like “Birdie” and “Real Love” that showcase Searcy’s folk-pop sound.

Senior Brittany Leach said she downloaded “Seasons” and was impressed with it.

“I’ve always been a fan of his work,” she said. “This time he definitely blew me away.”

Searcy has been making music most of his life, he said.

In a behind-the-scenes video for his EP, Searcy said he remembers picking up his guitar when he was young and playing along to Beatles records.

“I guess that’s where I really got the spark for songwriting from,” he said.

After leaving “The Voice,” Searcy moved to Nashville and began working with music producer Brent Milligan on the tracks that would for “Seasons.”

“It took about a year to finish,” he said. “Through that whole process, I feel like I learned how to be a recording artist instead of just a guy who writes songs.”

Senior Tate Hipps said he has worked with Searcy on music videos and has discussed collaborating with him.

“To me, Jordy doesn’t sing like the typical cat,” he said. “He sings from a place inside himself that allows me to feel what he feels. Each song draws me in and takes me on a journey to know more about who Jordy is and what he’s been through. I think that’s what’s supposed to happen when you sing from the heart.”

Searcy said it is difficult not knowing if people will like an album, he said.

“It’s an up and down process, but I feel like this past year I really cut my teeth and learned a lot of lessons,” he said. “The music industry is really difficult to navigate, but music is so fun. There are great days, and there are terrible days where you don’t make any money and you want to quit.”

Searcy said he is scheduled to perform five shows in December, but plans to travel more in the spring.

In an email, Searcy announced he will perform at UNA often in 2016 and offered a unique opportunity to his fans — free in-house concerts.

“I do lots of house concerts,” he said. “I have played for over 80 people in a living room, and for as little as four. For me, it’s all about the love of playing my songs for people in a more intimate setting than is offered at a venue.”

He loves meeting new fans and wants to play for as many people as he can, he said.

“Personally, achieving and creating something that people are excited about and people connect with is a success for me,” he said.

If people like what they hear on “Seasons,” Searcy encourages them to follow him on Instagram. Those interested in a free house show should email him at [email protected].