Apply now: Student Media positions open for 2016-17

While the current staff is hard at work completing the weekly paper, applications for Student Media positions for the 2016-17 school year have opened.

All positions for the student newspaper, The Flor-Ala, and student yearbook, Diorama, are open as well as positions for the student media photography staff and The Flor-Ala business team.

“Working in student media provides valuable, real-world experience and can set you apart from other UNA graduates when you enter the job market,” said Student Media Adviser Scott Morris. “Being able to show your writing clips, photos, page designs or business success at The Flor-Ala or Diorama can make the difference between landing a job or just being another college grad.”

Graduate, undergraduate and international students may apply for these paid positions regardless of major.

“It’s taught me everything I need to know about journalism and writing in general,” said current Managing Editor and professional writing major Jasmine Fleming. “If it weren’t for The Flor-Ala, I don’t think I would have enjoyed college nearly as much.”

Staff photographer Amandalyn Dorner said it has not only benefited her personal education, but the education of others.

“As a photographer, it’s given me the chance to photograph events people wouldn’t know about without seeing it in the newspaper or the yearbook,” she said.

All positions receive payment via scholarship. The deadline for submission is Jan. 15, 2016.