SGA brings “It’s on Us” campaign to UNA

The “It’s On Us” campaign is important to me and the campus because it represents something everyone should take a stance against.

As a campus, it is important that we educate ourselves on the effect sexual assault has on victims.

By raising awareness of the campaign, SGA hopes to inform students about how to be active bystanders, give statistics that will make an impactful impression and get students to sign the pledge to say they want to be advocates to stop sexual assault on our campus.

Our university is ranked one of the safest in the country, and we plan to keep it that way by incorporating the help of registered student organizations in our effort to change the campus climate to a campus where students look after their fellow peers.

SGA will film a promotional campaign video in the near future showing organizations on campus that stand against sexual assault and have signed the pledge. The hope of this video is to raise awareness of the campaign and to have as many students as possible sign the “It’s On Us” pledge.

Another event SGA will host is an “It’s On Us” campaign launch party Nov. 5 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the amphitheater. We will have a speaker talk about the importance of the campaign and what it means to take the pledge. We will also give away promotional items such as T-shirts, buttons and stickers to spread the word, as well as Jimmy John’s sandwiches and Frio’s Popsicles to all students that attend.

I am excited for what is to come with the “It’s On Us” campaign at UNA. I am proud to say that I stand against sexual assault. I encourage UNA students to engage with the campaign and be aware of what is going on throughout the rest of the year. I have taken my pledge, and you can, too, at itsonus.org.