UNA radio station hits airwaves summer 2015

Students will soon be able to hear music and campus news as UNA’s Department of Communications begins riding the airwaves summer 2015.

“Lion Pride” Radio goes on air in July 2015, said Chair of the Department of Communications Greg Pitts.

The station will broadcast with 100 watts of power. Anyone within a 10-mile radius of the Communications building at UNA can tune in to hear music that reflects the “Muscle Shoals sound,” the latest on UNA sports and student-led radio shows.

WLNP, which stands for “Lion Pride,” is licensed to broadcast 24/7, Pitts said.

The station will broadcast music from local musicians and music reflecting the Muscle

Shoals Sound.

“We have a lot of people who are local musicians, and I think there is a good opportunity to give them radio airplay,” Pitts said. “There is also an opportunity to give people a chance to do a radio show.”

Students and faculty from the department worked hard over the last few months to make this station happen, Pitts said.

Students researched promotional methods, programs, software and programming

pieces during the spring 2015 semester in preparation for the station’s launch.

He said communication students involved with the station are currently working on talk show ideas that could be on the air for 20 to 30 weeks.

He said more programming will be added as they get the station on its feet.

Pitts said the department will “hold our breath and wait and see” if the station’s power will increase.

“I think it’ll be amazing for students,” said senior Erin McAllister. “I think this will give them an actual practice run of what it takes to work at a radio station.”

McAllister said UNA’s National Broadcast Society chapter is also involved in the planning and startup of the station.

Senior Skyler Mansell said he wants to hear a mix of campus news and current events on campus, but he mainly wants to hear music on WLNP.

The station will also stream live online, giving those outside of the coverage area an opportunity to tune in.

For more information about the Department of Communications and Lion Pride Radio, go to una.edu/communications.