Sophomore golfer has break out season for Lions

Sophomore Forrest Knight chips the ball during the UNA Spring Classic March 23. Knight finished first individually in the Argonaut Invitational March 31. For his performance, he was named GSC Golfer of the Month.

Quick-witted, never too excited, yet as hard working an athlete as you will find.

Sophomore golfer Forrest Knight had a tough time his first year playing for the Lions. Many times he did not travel with the team because his practice rounds were not competitive enough, and it did not seem he could help the team win.

“My first year was really tough,” Knight said. “I was not used to sitting on the sidelines, but I was working to get better and paying my dues.”

Knight re-entered the fold this season hoping things would take a turn for the better.

Knight struggled a bit as a true freshman, he said.

“I worked really hard this past fall trying to get my game where I wanted it,” Knight said. “I spent many hours working on my chipping, putting and short game as a whole.”

The fall did not bring the best results for Knight, but intuitively he knew he was on the right track and it was just a matter of time.

“Everything was coming together on the course,” Knight said. “My scores may not have indicated that, but I could feel my game was getting better.”

The winter did not allow for much practice time, as conditions were too cold to practice, he said.

“It was a bit frustrating,” Knight said. “I thought my game was getting better and better, yet I couldn’t practice much. But when I got the opportunity to do so, I took full advantage.”

Taking advantage is exactly what Knight did.

Knight’s second tournament of the spring produced great results as he put up scores of 72, 67 and 69 to have a three-day total of 208.

That score was good enough to put him at eight under par for the tournament and three strokes better than any other player on the course, thus resulting in his first collegiate win.

“There is no better feeling than picking up that trophy.” Knight said. “It motivates me to keep getting better.”

After a couple of solid tournaments, including the Bobcat Invitational and the UNA Spring Classic, the Lions traveled to Pensacola for the Argonaut Invitational.

Knight was at it again, firing a field best 68 on the first day of the tournament.

Knight shot 72 and 69 in days two and three to bring his three-day total to 209, finishing seven under par for the tournament.

That score was good enough to beat the runner-up by six strokes.

“My confidence just continues to grow,” Knight said. “This feeling never gets old.”

For his performance over the past month Knight earned Gulf South Conference Golfer of the Month.

The Lions, led by Knight, travel to Tunica, Mississippi to compete in the Gulf South Conference tournament April 21-22.

“I’m just going to continue to compete,” Knight said. “Hopefully I keep playing at a high level and can add another trophy to the case.”

The Lions are ranked No. 9 in the regional rankings.