Spring Concert contract needs T.I.’s approval

Rapper T.I. performs at the BET Awards at the Nokia Theatre on Sunday, June 29, 2014, in Los Angeles. Pending approval of the contract, he will perform in Flowers Hall April 24 at 7 p.m. Up to 4,000 students can attend the concert free, and any remaining tickets will be sold to the general public for $30 each.

The announcement that T.I. will perform at the 2015 Spring Concert might have been made prematurely.

A post on T.I.’s Facebook page Dec. 17 said the artist would perform at UNA later this year.

“It’s not official until the contract is signed by both the university and T.I.,” said Director of Student Engagement Tyler Thompson. “It’s basically just not official yet.”

Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs Clinton Carter confirmed the university signed off on the contract Dec. 18.

But because the document had to be sent to the university’s agent, Concert Ideas, it did not reach T.I.’s agency until after the company closed for the holidays, Thompson said.

Once T.I. receives the contract, he will have the opportunity to request revisions, Thompson said.

“I don’t foresee any problems going ahead,” he said. “Usually at this point, they’ll just get back with us within a few weeks, and it will be official.”

Senior Kaitlyn McCoy said she thinks UPC should bring an artist of a different genre.

“I think if you’re going to have a rapper one year, get a different genre for the next,” McCoy said. “Like last year all Ludacris talked about was girls and drugs. Is that what we’re trying to say to people as a university? I don’t necessarily think so.”

Bryan Massey, a senior, said he agrees.

“I know some big name bands and rock groups demand a lot of money, but I bet (the university) could have gotten someone better,” he said.

Thompson said the contract stipulates a $90,000 payout for the event.

Massey said that is a lot to spend on the spring concert artist, and he wishes the university could have hosted a more “mainstream” performer.

“Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5 or The Foo Fighters would have been a better choice in my opinion,” he said. “I’m sure those guys are really pricey but those would have been my preference.”

The UPC Live Acts Committee developed a list of artists that fell within the organization’s budget and distributed the names to the council, said committee chairwoman Rebecca Logsdon.

Members then chose their top picks, and the committee made the final decision to invite T.I. based on cost and availability, Logsdon said.

UPC Vice President Daniel Thompson said the council did not want the artist’s name released before the contract was made official in case any issues arose.

“We just didn’t want students to think T.I. would be here then something crazy happen,” he said. “Everything will probably go as planned, but there’s always that chance.”

The concert will be held in Flower’s Hall April 24 at 7 p.m.

Students, who can attend the concert for free, will have first dibs on the 4,000 available tickets.

Any remaining seats will be sold to the general public for $30.

“Hopefully we won’t have any left to sell,” Tyler Thompson said. “So it’s possible we wont open any to the public.”

He said the opening act has yet to be determined, but that is the next task on the Live Acts Committee’s to-do list.