Police chief resigns, university appoints interim to temporarily fill position

UNA will soon begin searching for a new chief of police.

Chief Bob Pastula officially resigned from the university police department Dec. 31 after more than five years of service.

“I have been a police officer for over 35 years,” Pastula said. “I am going to retire and enjoy my grandchildren.”

Vice President for Student Affairs David Shields said Pastula’s letter of resignation was accepted “regrettably.”

“We’re sad to lose him,” Shields said. “We are thankful for the tremendous work he has done to make our campus safe.”

An interim chief has been appointed, but his name will not be released until classes begin and the police officers and campus can be properly notified, Shields said.

He said the interim chief has been working closely with himself and Pastula to be able to serve campus.

“We hope to have a new chief appointed by the end of the spring semester at the latest,” he said.

A search committee composed of members from multiple campus constituencies will be appointed, and a national search will begin to fill the position.

Shields said the search will resemble the recent process of hiring President Elect Kenneth Kitts.

The candidates will spend time on campus making presentations and meeting with students, faculty, staff and the community, Shields said.

“The process is not to find a chief, but to find the right chief,” he said.