Newspaper staff needs your support

We are frequently called out on social media as not doing our jobs, doing our jobs poorly or not covering things that need to be covered. We are told we do not cover enough positive things. We are told we cannot be trusted and that no one takes us seriously.

The funny thing is, the very people who make those statements are the first ones to abstain from helping us do our jobs.

We are attempting to become professionals. Our writers take a minimum of 10 hours per week to write one story, and our editors work tirelessly on their own stories and checking the facts of others’. Work weeks range from 30-50 hours.

Then situations occur in which students destroy the process.

Last week, Facilities Beat Writer Natalie Bee and Staff Photographer Katlyn Shannon reported and took photos of a student riding a scooter. The story was about safety and diverse methods of transportation (see the updated story on page 6A).

The student gave both the writer and photographer the name “Earnie Vaughn,” and completed his interview with said alias.

Noticing he looked very familiar, I contacted his look-alike. As it turns out, the look-alike thought he would amuse himself by tearing down other people’s credibility by giving a false alias and a slew of vague, meaningless quotes.

As students who work full-time jobs, take a minimum of 12 credit hours and receive the backlash of the student and faculty opinions more than anyone else on campus, we deserve better.

We deserve a campus and community who take us seriously instead of playing juvenile jokes that demean our efforts and ultimately slow down our process.

The fact an individual thinks it is humorous to tear down the products of professionals who probably work more hours and endure more hardships than he does, is alarming.

The fact someone has nothing better to do than lie to a news outlet is pathetic.

The fact he was so blasé about all of it shows how apathetic he is to the well-being of our campus.

Students and faculty should provide feedback, encourage students to pursue their careers and alert us to problems or story ideas within the community. Students and faculty should not impede the learning process.

In the end, I have to give us credit that we caught this error. Guess the joke’s on you, Earnie.