SNAP enhances campus safety

At some point in college, most students will find themselves out after dark.

Whether it is after cramming for an exam at the library until 1 a.m., squeezing in an afternoon study session over a vanilla bean frappe at Starbucks or getting off the late shift at work, walking across campus alone poses several risks.

To combat the dangers associated with walking across campus in the dark, the UNA Police Department Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol (SNAP) offers the campus community a free escort between the hours of 8 p.m. and 1 a.m.

To get a ride from SNAP students can call the campus police department and tell them “who they are, where they are and where they want to go,” said UNA Police Chief Bob Pastula.

A student worker driving one of three SNAP golf carts will arrive shortly thereafter, he said.

SNAP is a trending program that is popping up on college campuses across the country. It was designed as a proactive measure to prevent crime, Pastula said.

“When original studies were completed about implementing the SNAP program, it was determined students were in need of escorts between 8 p.m. and 1 a.m. more than any other time of the day,” Pastula said.

Senior Kayla Bailey said she thinks SNAP benefits campus and improves its overall safety.

“SNAP has helped me because sometimes I work at the library until 10 or 11 p.m. tutoring, and I don’t want to walk by myself at night,” Bailey said. “That way I don’t have to go through the parking deck by myself, especially as a girl.”

SNAP can also provide assistance for students facing unforeseen circumstances.

Sophomore Abby Heflin said SNAP helped out her friends when they got locked in the library after closing time.

“They were studying and went to leave and the gate in the library was down with the doors locked,” Heflin said. “They had to call SNAP to get them out.”

Although SNAP does not provide escorts to off-campus housing and other locations, the UNA Police Department can send an officer to transport students outside the campus borders, Pastula said. Students can also receive an escort when SNAP is not active by calling campus police.