Women’s Center serves as second home for students

The Women’s Center was established 10 years ago by professors Anna Lott and Lynne Rieff as part of the Women’s Studies program.

The Women’s Center offers several unique services unavailable elsewhere.

“We have a lot of services that are free and here in the building,” Kelley said. “The coffee pot always on, there is always a free bottle of water in the refrigerator, there are free snacks in the building and free printing on the computers.”

The Center can also be a safe haven for students who need it. Kelley said her door is always open to talk to students to see how they are doing.

“I am here to talk to anybody and everybody who comes in,” she said.

There is also a plethora of volunteer opportunities at the Women’s Center.

“In the Women’s Center there’s always room for volunteers to come in here, help answer the phone and help work on projects that are going on,” Kelley said. “I always need volunteers to work all of the different functions and events that we set up during the year’s time.”

When senior Jennifer Allen is not in class she can often be found volunteering in the Women’s Center.

“My job entails greeting people when they come in and helping them to find any resources that they need. I’m basically here to tell them about the Women’s Center,” Allen said. “I pretty much do anything Emily needs me to do.”

The overall purpose of the Women’s Center is bigger than being a house on campus, Kelley said.

“The Women’s Center is a home for people to come to who otherwise do not have one,” she said.